Thursday, September 19, 2013

Where have all the bees gone?

Being a keen gardener, I have often asked myself this very question.  As a child I can remember our garden being full of bees, now I rarely see a honey bee.  I still see bumble bees but I'm not sure there are enough to complete the pollination required for my garden. 

So when I stumbled across this TEDTalk it answered lots of questions (and confirmed some suspicions). 

Marla Spivak: Why bees are disappearing

All is not lost - if we all do our bit to plant bee-attractive gardens and hedgerows, the bees will come back. 

Let me know what you think.  Do you have many bees? If you do, what do you have in your garden to attract them? 

I look forward to your comments.


1 comment:

  1. There is nothing nicer than working in the garden on a summers day listening to the sound of bees. We are currently in a rental property in Christchurch and sadly there are not many plants in the backyard that attract bees. Prior to Christchurch we were living in Outram, a little village north west of Dunedin. We planted many trees and bushes to encourage bees into our garden. The most successful apeared to be the lavender bushes. The bees were forever buzzing around doing their little bee type jobs......
    In the property we hope to move to in the next few months you can be sure we will be adding plenty of lavender bushes to encourage that delightful sound back into our lives.
    Funny how you don't realise how much you miss something until it has gone....scary thought.........
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete