Thursday, September 19, 2013

The recent windy weather front

Last week's weather front brought tremendous winds which has created havoc for many.  Many consumers were without power for a week. Its at times like these we realise how much we rely on electricity.  



Image source


What relevance does the weather have to this blog?

Well with the current changing weather patterns we can expect more freak weather storms like this.  So we have to start asking how we maintain power so our home or workplace can keep functioning.  The mind set of relying on the power provider is not going to work long term because eventually the problem has the potential to become too big. Just consider the losses to a business from 1 week closure, yet alone longer.  Insurance may cover it but eventually insurance premiums will rise out of the reach of many. 


Important questions for all homeowners and business owners to ask themselves are:

  1. How long can I survive without power - at home, in my workplace?
  2. What losses will I incur in a time without power? Am I am prepared to take those losses?
  3. What changes to my power supply can I make which will allow me to be self sufficient all the time or at least in the event of mother nature intervening?
  4. Is my alternative source of power sustainable long term? e.g. is it from an infinite resource and will it survive wild winds and earthquakes? 
I look forward to your thoughts on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment