Thursday, September 5, 2013

The importance of sleep

I am inspired this week to write about sleep after stumbling upon a TEDTalk that discussed the importance of sleeping well.  This was preceded by a week or so ago reading an article on it.  It feels like someone is trying to tell me something!

The more I read and think about it, the more I know how important good sleep is and how I haven't been prioritising it as much as I should have.  I think you hit a certain age and you really start thinking about what do you need to do to maximise the time you have and this is really one of those things!

To function well, to be even tempered, rational, make good decisions, and be efficient, you need to have had enough sleep.  However, modern times are trying to convince us more and more that less sleep is OK   The draw of light bulbs, 24 hour TV, 24 hour entertainment, long working days and then trying to get some me time and so on.  I even read recently that 1/3rd of us will fall asleep at the wheel sometime in our lives as a result of sleep deprivation. It is scary to think that many people are out there driving sleep deprived!

It doesn't matter what your role and interests in life.  Without a certain amount of sleep the stakes are high!

Falling asleep again - image source



1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.
    future of sleep

    ReplyDelete