Friday, August 19, 2011

Personal Sustainability and Standing Desks

This week we are talking personal sustainability!  Investigation into this idea begun after some feedback from staff in our school regarding how bad it is to sit all day. 

I found some startling, but perhaps not surprising facts. People who spend more hours in each day: 
  • are 54% more likely to die of a heart attack  
  • have increased risk of obesity  
  • have poorer posture  
  • have increased risk of lower back problems  
  • need to know that offsetting hours of sitting with a trip to the gym before and/or after sitting does not offset the risks of too much sitting  
  • need to know that research shows that sitting is bad for you whether you are fat or lean  
  • have increased risk Type 2 diabetes  
  • have increased risk of a variety of cancers,including bowel cancer 

Click here to read more and here and here and there are plenty more that you can find by googling the negative effects of standing or standing desks if you aren't happy with the articles linked here.  

So what should you do - simple, reduce the number of sedentary sitting hours. There are lots of suggestions in these articles and the many more that you can find that propose different options, but one that is simple to achieve and actually isn't that bad for someone who has a desk bound job - now that I have done it - is to create a standing desk. At least 2 others in the School of Veterinary Nursing have done the same. I find I am not all seized up and stiff at the end of my work day and I have more energy in the afternoons and evenings with the kids so it seems to be win:win at this stage!! 

There are some nice pictures on this blog of ways to create a standing desk with what you have! I have set one up using a modular box on top of my desk for the computer and my keyboard is up on a pile of textbooks.  

So take the advice or leave it, its up to you!! I am grateful to the colleagues that raised the discussion.  I feel so much better at the end of each days work and have more energy to play with my kids and do other things. 

To quote one of the articles I read "Beware the Chair".

Have a great and sustainable weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment