Thursday, August 16, 2012

I'm too busy..........

Back in March, I blogged on Community.  In that article I mentioned the nine  fundamental human needs.  Just to remind you these are listed below and you can read more by clicking here:

(Affection, Creation, Freedom, Identity, Idleness, Participation, Protection, Subsistence, Understanding)


It struck a cord with me this week as I have really felt that busy-ness.  And as I read the post I thought about my own life and how I do actually often feel if I am not busy I am not contributing in some sub-conscious way.  I have always got a list of things that need to be done, which I work on and add to all the time and  just taking time to "pick more daisies" has been rare recently.   

There is always another side of it and that is busy-ness without actually achieving much.  We all know someone who always appears to be busy but achieves nothing.  Maybe you put yourself in that category.

Surely there is a happy medium where you are able to meet the 9 fundamentals of human needs including idleness without being run off you feet being "busy".


If I Had My Life Over - I'd Pick More Daisies
by Nadine Stair

If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time. I'd relax, I would limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I'd have fewer imaginary ones.
You see, I'm one of those people who lived sensibly and sanely, hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I've had my moments, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead of each day. I've been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a raincoat and a parachute. If I had to do it again, I would travel lighter than I have.
If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds. I would pick more daisies.



My Mum always liked this poem and I know that if she had known she was going to die at the young age of 63 she would have adhered to it more too.  She spent a lot of time in her life saying "When I retire............".  She didn't get that opportunity.  Don;t let that be you.  

Weekly challenge - to build idleness into your daily life.  Remember this is a fundamental human need.  Idleness for you may be different from what it is for me - it could be sitting and watching telly, it could be having coffee with friends, it could be sitting in the sun dozing and dreaming.  Don't save idleness and creativity for when you have more time or when you retire.  

I think the blog is right - you don't have to be scheduled every minute of every day to be happy, fulfilled and a contributor to society.   I love the reminder about kids having unscheduled playtime too.    

Of course if you thrive on being busy and it doesn't cause stress to you or impact on family, friends and other aspects of life then great!  If it does, take a moment to work out how to improve the situation.  Only you can take control of your own life.  

Have a great weekend.  

Kind Regards
Francesca

3 comments:

  1. I battle with some guilt over a new found idleness after a life of busy-ness, driven mainly by a large family, personal anxiety and obligation. Now I find it easier to step back, take on less, not care as much, indulge in art, tv, books, lie ins, the pleasure of nothing planned. It still feels wrong, but an understandable reaction to a busy job and post earthquake life. I dont want to retire to find I have nothing to do - so I do need to develop more hobbies to stop me becoming a couch potato .... Idleness is not a reason to cease to exist or contribute, but perhaps a necessary first stage to work out what it is I really appreciate and want to do, for myself first, then family, community and country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This feedback to this blog was posted on Moodle by one of our students. I wanted to share it with you:
    That was great, Francesca (and may we all learn from your tale of your Mum). Thanks for sharing. < : ) I'm sure many of us as students can relate to the busy-ness (I sure can as I have been playing catch up for the last couple of months after some less-than-ideal life events and study habits in the first part of the year) and it can be hard sometimes, especially when we have jobs and families and patients to look after, to be able to see the real value of idleness... a word that has had some negative stigma attached to it.

    In response to your post I'd like to share two links which (each in their own different way) are dedicated to helping folks meet their fundamental human needs and make the most of their lives.

    1) flylady.net - this quote from the About page of the site sums it up quite well: "When you join FlyLady, you will receive daily FLYmail. Your FLYing Lessons will guide you through babysteps to help you set up routines, get rid of your clutter, and put your home and life in order." The site is free to join, they have various products for sale if you want them but there's no cost or pressure to buy anything. The philosophy of the site is along the lines of, "don't try to catch up - just join in wherever you are and we'll get there together". It teaches you to take "baby steps" towards being more effective and productive while always taking care of one's own wellbeing (the FLY stands for "Finally Loving Yourself". This site is as useful as you make it. I haven't made the most of it myself but have taken some useful tips over the years.

    2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXM7MpoVAD0 - this is a talk from the TEDxSydney conference, given by a chap called Nigel Marsh who has some very worthwhile ideas and tips about work/life balance. He tells it in an amusing way and at only ten minutes long it is definitely worth a listen.

    Thanks again Francesca!
    < : )
    H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We instill the culture of 'busy-ness' into our children. As western parents, there is a pressure right from the start to fill our childs lives choc full with a schedule of activities - be it music lessons, swimming lessons, dance, rugby etc etc. As if being at school for 6 hours a day isn't enough at a that age!
    Gone are the days when you would come home from school and have 4 or five hours at your disposal - this 'free time' allowed our children to use their imagination -playing out with mates, building camps, going on adventures, or just having quiet time at home drawing, colouring, reading or watching TV. I absolutely agree that schedules and busyness cripple imagination and creativity - and the constant pressure to 'acheive' and be productive can cause huge levels of anxiety and stress.
    I subscribe to a facebook page called The Daily Buddha - I like being dealt a regular pearl of wisdom which makes me stop to think. This is a poignant quote from a post about 'busy-ness' from the site: Remember the simple fact that how we spend our days is how we end up spending our life.

    ReplyDelete