Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What we eat

A very short post this week, as its a few days late, after I took a trip to Dunedin to attend our 2011 students graduation.  A big congratulations to them all!!


Recently I have been spending more time examining what we eat - the list of ingredients.  Yoghurt has been one that has really taken my attention recently.  I used to think yoghurt was yoghurt, but think again.  Take a look at the long list of ingredients in a common yoghurt brand and you'll soon see what I am on about!  

I have recently taken to buying some less processed, boutique brands - more costly but because they are generally thinner in consistency I actually use a lot less on my breakfast so am buying no more than I would previously have so it reduces my calorie intake too.  The interesting thing is that this more natural yoghurt actually tastes like yoghurt too - the yoghurt I remember as a child. 
The next step of course is to make my own!

Have a look at this link: http://grist.org/food/not-your-grandmas-yogurt/ which talks about this very topic. 
________________________________________________________________________________

Not too long ago I read a book by Wendyl Nissen, called "A Home Companion - my year living like my grandma" and it highlighted things like this about the list of ingredients in common foods including what could only really be described as industrial chemicals.  In that book I remember being astounded that Twisties had a shorted ingredient list than I think it was BBQ flavoured chis. 

This weeks challenge:  Next time you go shopping, take the time to read the ingredient lists on some of the food products you buy.  And make choices based on choosing food that has less ingredients, therefore is less processed. Wendyl Nissen suggested choosing foods that had no more than 5 ingredients in their ingredient list. 


PS: I make no judgment at all about the brands pictured here.  I suggest you look at all brands on the shelf at your supermarket and make you own choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment