Friday, February 24, 2012

World population, what the world eats and the story of stuff

This week I have spoken to a group of Animal Care students at the Christchurch block course with regards to why Otago Polytechnic have taken this seriously and why it is essential we all take it seriously too.  The reading can be depressing but rather than view it that way, once you believe that we have no choice but to make some pretty big changes there is huge opportunity to do so for the betterment of the environment, ourselves and even for financial gains too.

My job when I spoke to that group of students was to convince them to join us on this path to a better future.  

The links below are all ones I wanted to show the class, but due to a very slow internet connection in CHCH I promised I would post them, so I thought for the benefit of everyone, I would add them to this weeks blog:

World population: 7 minutes of sobering viewing about the population explosion. 

What the world eats: A photo essay of different families weekly food intake in a week. 

The story of stuff: This particular link shows how the worlds economy currently works on a linear system, which produces vast quantities of waste and promotes a throwaway society.  It is this linear model that needs to be redesigned to be cyclic.  

I look forward to your thoughts and feedback on these.  

I promise next week we will get back to tangible things you can do to make a difference.  Remember you can send me ideas or even written blog posts for further posting!!
(Image source - Story of Stuff website)

Have a great  weekend
Kind Regards
Francesca

No comments:

Post a Comment